Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Bright Batik runner

This is one of the runners I put the binding on when blog friend Wendy was here for our 'in home' retreat.  It's been so hard to get pictures as the weather just doesn't want to cooperate when I am available!

It is made with a Hoffman Bali Snap 5" pack which I picked up a couple years ago at the Quilt Expo in Madison Wisconsin.  I loved the prints but had no idea what I wanted to make with it-ok stop snickering, I know you have been there done that!!!   When I need inspiration I turn to Pinterest, there was a quilt made with larger squares and it triggered my mind to think of a table runner.


 My spirea is out in full force and I couldn't resist putting the colorful runner with it.



 Keeping the quilting simple but fun, I stitched a half inch from the edge of the octagon, then a Terry Twist in the white square with lettuce leaf feathers to fill the ring.

Since there are a lot of sew, fold, and press corners there would be a lot of waste.  But, no I just can't throw them out,  so the day after piecing the runner, I decided to stitch them right up into a fun little mini hanging.  Ok, that was a tease as I am not going to show you till it's quilted-yep I am naughty:😏



But I will share some pix I took on our camping trip last weekend.  As we were riding our bikes along the Root River near Lanesboro, MN, we spotted a Bald Eagle nest with an Eagle in it and another sitting in the tree to the left and up from the nest. What a treat to have spotted them.

Their nest is absolutely huge!

Such beautiful creatures.  We were lucky to have spotted them 3 times during the weekend, twice while on our bikes and once from the kayaks.

And a little inspiration for a quilt or a border was spotted on this old silo. 

The dam in Lanesboro...at first glance you might think those campers are in for a rude awakening!!


Tomorrow afternoon we are taking the Grandsons to the circus-I'll let you know later how that goes!!

Linking with a few of the inspirational parties on my left side bar at the end of the week.


17 comments:

  1. I love your new table runner! It got me to thinking about a charm pack I have in a drawer down in my sewing room, lol! Your pictures of the bald eagles and their nest are amazing, too! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been stitching the same blocks, but, with the white in the center, and colored corners, for my family reunion blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've been having LOTS of fun! Love that colorful little batik table runner & I agree, the silo has a very interesting pattern that you could easily duplicate into a quilt.
    Enjoy those wee grands...they grow up way too fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing those eagles! Wow!!! Love your runner and your bridal basket bush!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, shoot! I knew there was something I forgot to sneak into my suitcase when I left; I'm sure I could've found a place to tuck that runner in there :-) Seriously, that is a beautiful runner, Vicki! You got some nice shots of those eagles. We saw one on the side of the road snacking on some roadkill on our way to Red Wing. It didn't even flinch with the car going by, which seemed unusual. Have fun at the circus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure what I like more... your gorgeous spirea or the beautiful table runner. They look great together. The eagle is breathtaking. And that nest.... unbelievable! How cool that you could see it up close and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty table runner, Vicki. I love the colors in it and next to your spirea is a perfect photo op.

    Amazing opportunity to see the eagles up close. They are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to chime in as well... The table runner is beautiful and I really like your quilting choice. Looks lovely with your spirea too. I'm eager to see what you did with the little connector triangles :-)
    The pictures of the eagles are wonderful. What an awesome experience to see the nest and that beautiful eagle. Thanks for sharing the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your table runner looks fantastic, but the real show-stopper in this post is that up-close-and-personal look at the bald eagles and their nest. How exciting! I have seen nests from afar and have seen a bald eagle, too, from afar. You were fortunate to be so close! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful table runner Vicki, we have eagles here along the river in Iowa too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful table runner Vicki, we have eagles here along the river in Iowa too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photo of the adult eagle! I still get a thrill every time I see one. Your table runner is beautiful. Love the gorgeous colors of the batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such pretty colors in the table runner. I like how it looks outside with the spirea, but the close-up really shows the gorgeous variations in the prints. Thanks for sharing the details of your quilting. Deciding quilting designs is always really hard for me, so it helps to see how others choose their patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops. Hit publish too soon. I like your vacation pictures. It must have been awesome to be so close the the eagles. My favorite picture is of the barn and silo--I could see that as pictorial quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute table runner! It always surprises me to see eagles in the wild. I guess I always think of them as fairy-tale type birds, but they're real and they're huge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your table runner. What a beautiful place to go camping. Lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html